Thursday, August 16, 2012

Cure For Stinky Wrestling Shoes and Work Out Clothes

Do you ever look around your house wondering where that funky smell is coming from?  In my house with 5 boys....it is usually either their nasty wrestling shoes, sweaty work out clothes, disgusting socks that can walk by themselves or tennis shoes.  Regardless of what it may be I have help.

During the end of the season last year I started to make my own laundry detergent.  I bought a plastic container with a lid from the hardware store and a meat grinder from a second hand store in town.  I use the recipe I have listed below to make my own powder detergent.  The meat grinder grinds the soap and is much easier than grating it with an old cheese grater.  Tried that and didn't have knuckles left.  Mix all the ingredients. 

It’s only four ingredients!
1  (4 pound) box of Super Washing Soda
(Note:  If you can not find washing soda you can take baking soda and put it in a pan on 400 degrees until the soda has turned a dull color.  Mix it occasionally while baking it. )
1 (4pound) box of Baking Soda
1 (4 pound) box of Borax
3 bars of Kirk’s Castile soap–Shredded
(you can use Fels Naptha, Zote, or Ivory soaps)
Mix well in a large container.
Add two heaping tablespoons to each load of laundry.

I swear by this recipe.  My laundry is whiter, brighter, towels and laundry fluffier, and you have none of that sour smell.  This combination truly helps get that funk out of your laundry.

In the rinse cycle I also add 1/4 cup of vinegar.  I know it sounds crazy, but it is a great softener.
This too helps eliminate the funky smell. 

Best of all....it costs pennies to do my laundry! 




No comments:

Post a Comment